I recently helped a friend did a small amount research on the brand Givenchy and it’s fashion concept, whereby design an interior of a retail outlet for it. We came up with Gothic fashion for Givenchy. I might as well share my research here for a better understanding of Gothic fashion and how Givenchy express it in it’s menswear.
When it comes to design, merely just designing would not be good enough but a design with a concept is what people are looking for. Designers are often asked what inspiration they have during design to create that fabulous collection, therefore it is essential to have one as designers.
Givenchy is inspired by Gothic fashion in most of it’s collection through out the years.
Gothic fashion is a clothing style marked by conspicuously dark, mysterious, exotic, and complex features. Complex features can mean the ornaments and prints on shirt. Ornaments to my interpretation is spikes and studs.
Photo is from fashitects.
How is Gothic fashion translate to menswear? Well, it’s dark, mysterious and complex.
F/W 2009 Collection from Ann Demeulemeester. Based in blacks and whites, it embraced an earth-toned color palette.
A very nice interview with Gothic Remaissance by Madly Juicy. Check it out! http://www.madlyjuicy.com/?p=6563
Personally, I find Givenchy has a unique style, but I don’t find it practical, hence not owning any items from it. A brief introduction to Givenchy Fall 2013 collection, some of my favourites and relating to Gothic fashion.
“Riccardo Tisci wanted to make a much more couture collection for menswear, he was keen to challenge himself by offering something more chic, more…well, couture-ish. And there it was, in experimental new cuts, collarless and lapel-less, and in a new depth of fabrication.” Quote Style.com
Photos are from Style.
The printed T looks amazing, but the cutting isn’t what I would often wear.
A simple example of ornamentation on jackets.
I find that the below two don’t represent much Gothic fashion but I especially like formal wears, simple but elegant.
I think the idea of Givenchy used in Gothic is the unique printed tees, ornamentation and definately the dark color palette used.What do you guys think of Givenchy Fall 2013, even though Summer has just begun?
As always, this is my point of interpretation and my opinion. I only did that many research therefore would love to hear comments on your thoughts and whether did I misunderstand or explained wrongly. Cheers!
- Gothic Metallic Couture – The Stunning ‘Sirens of Chrome’ Collection Will Shock and Inspire (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Gothic Fashion Influences (izabael.com)
- Gothic – trendy or timeless? (purepoisonclothing.wordpress.com)
- Gothic and Lolita fashion (japanesestylemusingsfromlocalstyleseekers.wordpress.com)
- Givenchy Famous Faces Ad Campaign 2013-2014 (thenewicons.wordpress.com)
- 2013 CFDA Fashion Awards (fashionisbananas.com)
- Ciara Really Loves Wearing Givenchy Men’s Clothes (stylecaster.com)
- Punk and Goth (yepi24u.wordpress.com)
- Minimalist Menswear Editorials – Kira Bunse Photographs the Menswear-Style Fashion by Rika #8 (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Reading: Kafka Gothic and Fairytale (crystinrs.wordpress.com)